Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My terrier is aged I have had her about 12yrs I got her when

Customer Question

My terrier is aged I have had her about 12yrs I got her when she was 3 months her cherrry eyes stay really red and they are like green stuff that getd on them a lot during the day, can't afford vet live on social security but I do have eye drops for her, what do I do as far as cleaning the green stuff and keeping it off?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

The cherry eyes which are an enlargement of the Harders Gland which is a tear gland is causing irritation to Jadas eyes causing this discharge. Th best thing you can do is to apply a few drops of Artificial Tears to Jada's eyes every 4-6 hrs. This is available over the counter at the pharmacy from Bausch and Lomb and will remove all of the irritants and coat her eyes. This will help soothe her eyes and decrease any further damage. It is best if you can to have your vet examine Jada's eyes at some point to know for sure how much damage has been done and how serious this is for Jada.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can I do to clean the green stuff that's on the ducts

I am so sorry but due to my location, I am unable to make phone calls.

You use a kleenex to remove the discharge and then apply the drops. The drps will decrease the amount of discharge within a few days if you are consistent with them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I try to remove the discharge it sometimes bleeds that scares me

That is not unusual due to the irritation. Try to apply the drops first and then wipe Jada's eyes...this may soothe it enough so area will not bleed. Your vet can prescribe a steroid ointment that will decrease this inflammation but you would need to take Jada in to your vet for this.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jada. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta