Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Matt, My tsih tzu has not had a bowel movement since late

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Matt,
My tsih tzu has not had a bowel movement since late Friday or early Saturday. What can I do to assist her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How is Emma doing, did she have a bowel movement?

2- Is she eating and drinking?

3- Is she trying to go?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is eating and drinking. Her behavior is normal as she is a very playful dog. My son believes that she had a bowel movement in our yard. We can't be sure it is hers because we have a 2nd tsih tzu named Lola
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like she may be constipated, this is what you can try:

1- Get her to drink more by offering low sodium chicken broth.

2- Add 1-2 teaspoon of canned pumpkin to her food.

3- As a stool softener you can give 1/2 teaspoon of Miralax every 24 hours or Mineral oil 1 to 2 teaspoon every 12 hours. You can find these over the counter in any pharmacy.

4- You can also give milk as a stool softener; normally it causes diarrhea but in cases of constipation will act as a stool softener.

5- If she does not have a bowel movement within 12 hours of doing the above, I would have her checked by family veterinarian.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jorge,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Emma. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter