Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Dog appears to have a cold. Runny nose, sneezing and very

Customer Question

Dog appears to have a cold. Runny nose, sneezing and very congested. On amoxicillin and vet tech said 1/4 benadryl every 8 hours but I can't get the Benadryl in her. I've tried cheese and syringe feeding but she just spits it out. She's an 6 pound 14 year old yorkie with a low immune system. Any other options so she can get some nasal relief. She's very stuffed up. Mi can relate cause I've had a nasty cold for a week but I can take medication. We're driving tonTexas tomorrow from California and I want her to be comfortable. Also, how would I know if it's getting overly serious? She's eating her food, drinking water and has solid stool, although she didn't eat much today.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your girl is not feeling well - I'll do my best to help.

I've always been underwhelmed with benadryl as a nasal decongestant in any case, so I wouldn't beat yourself up for not being able to get it into her. Definitely follow up with your veterinarian who prescribed the amoxicillin to see if they recommend a substitute or can prescribe an alternate dose formulation. It's great that she's eating and drinking well - when she is near the end of her antibiotics I would suggest having her examined again to make sure that it's all handled and to move on with more diagnostics if she's still congested.

As far as the current congestion goes - a couple of great things to help congestion are humidification and plain nasal saline drops. It's easiest to humidify a pet by running a hot shower in the bathroom with the door closed. Allow the room to get all steamy and have her in there for 10-15 minutes two to three times a day. You can also apply plain saline nasal drops (Like Little Remedies Saline Drops http://www.amazon.com/Little-Remedies-Saline-Spray-drops/dp/B001J1X8SU- sold for babies). Gently point her nose directly at the sky, then place 2-3 drops of saline into each nostril. Expect a little sneezing and sniffling after this, just as you would expect with a child. This will help break up the congestion.

I hope that your travels go well - please let me know what other questions I can handle for you

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)