Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My british lab might have eaten an excedrin migraine pill.

Customer Question

my british lab might have eaten an excedrin migraine pill. She was licking/ it sounded like she was chewing something. I walked over and found a red AFE imprinted migraine pill on the rug. I could tell that she had licked some coating off of it but the pill I saw on the floor was still intact but it seems she was chewing on something even when I was looking at the pill. I am mostly afraid that somehow someone had spilled two pills and that she had eaten one of them. Part of me thinks I am freaking out for nothing the pill I saw by where the dog was sitting had been licked but not broken. My question is on the off chance that my 60 pound dog did swallow a pill which I believe is 500 miligrams. Do I need to do anything should I be worried?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. There area number of Excedrin formulations, which was the one your dog may have taken?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is the 250 Acetaminophen the 250mg aspirin and 65 mg caffeine I actually don't think she swallowed one just licked a little bit of coating off this one I found on floor I mean she seems fine.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. Even if she did swallow a whole one as dog the size of an adult Labrador would not be at serious risk from this sort of incident, in fact the the chances are she would not exhibit any serious symptoms of any sort, perhaps she would be a little over active because of the caffeine for a few hours and she might have some mild indigestion from the other components but I would not expect any long term problems.

2. However if she just licked the coating then there would be no chance of it affecting her, in that case you can just forget the incident because she will not be at the slightest risk.

3. I should be available online for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Lab is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Excedrin incident ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.