Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dog on metronidazole, has very gurgly gut, sticky soft

Customer Question

Dog on metronidazole, has very gurgly gut, sticky soft stool, and foul gas. Ver gave h 100mg/ml oral liquid for twice a day. My dog weighs 18lb and used to use 250mg tablet split twice a day. What could be the problem?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On first course of metronidazole, he was given half tablet of 250mg twice a day for five days. Next day he had firmed stool. In second day, no bowel movement. On third day, he had long sticky formed stool which smelled foul which was unusual. On walks, he had loose stool. So same thing went on during metronidazole treatment. He was very gurgly and gassy with foul fermented smell. After metronidazole, same things happened. Sticky stools and loose stools, gurgly gut, and abnormal foul smelling gas. So after week, I was worried and did a fecal smear at my Vet and she found clostridium. So she gave him a 100mg/ml liquid oral suspension 0.85ml twice a day for five days. On the night i gave him the metronidazole, he had formed sticky stool with fould smell. Next morning, same. And now he still have gurgly gut and keep having foul smelling gas. I don't know what could be the problem. He had nice firm stool but now after metronidazole, he is having gas, gurgly gut, and sticky soft stool. Please help.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

What is the 100mg/ml antibiotic? Is it Metronidazole again?

Or a more narrow spectrum option used to target the clostridia?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is metronidazole. The doctor said he was too small for 250mg tablet so she gave him 100mg/ml liquid suspension metronidazole, twice a day.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, I am concerned to see that he is on 0.85ml of a 100mg/ml Metronidazole preparation. This translated to a 10mg/kg dose, which the minimum dose we use is actually 15mg/kg. So, this is an under dose.

Otherwise to hear that he has these signs after 2 courses does also raise concerns to whether the Clostridial bacteria is sensitive to this. Therefore, if he is having continued signs, the Metro may not be agreeing with him, and you are using such a low dose; it'd be ideal to speak to your vet about alternative antibiotics. If that fecal sample was cultured for the bacteria, the lab should have done sensitivity testing to tell your vet what drugs the bacteria is sensitive too. Therefore, this can help you choose a potentially more effective option to clear this that agrees with him better.

Otherwise, while the Clostridia could be causing the loose stool and gas, we can also see this due to the infection and even the antibiotics negatively impacting his good gut microflora population. Therefore, it'd be ideal to use a dog specific probiotic at this stage to counter that for Bokdol. There are a range of OTC options that you can get from your vet, pet store, or even online (ie Amazon). Though if the stools are runny then you may find a kaolin/probiotic combination product like Propectalin, Canikur, FastBalance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber a better option. Again all are available OTC at vets, pet stores,and even Amazon. And both should help at least reduce his current gurgling/gassy/diarrhea signs until we can get the infection cleared.

Overall, his signs are consistent with Clostridia still being an ongoing issue, but after all the Metronidazole damage to the gut's good bacteria population is also a concern. Therefore, we'd want to do consider potentially changing the antibiotic if it is not clearing this for him and also supporting those good gut bacteria to help get him back to normal stool and gut function.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i gave him probiotic called advita. After hour, he started to fart and smelled like rotten eggs. So does that mean probiotic does not agree with him?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

No, it wouldn't be related to the probiotic this soon after you used it. It does take a a good few hours to get into the gut and a few days for it to help restore the normal gut bacteria. So, that is just likely related to the ongoing issue. Though if you feel the gas is very odorous, I would note that you could treat in the meantime with OTC activated charcoal (which is used for gas in people but also found as granules to add to dog food) to bind that odor for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.* Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
probiotic does not cause gas?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

No, it usually does not do so. Gas is most often produced by bacteria in the gut. So that is why we are trying to ensure the proper good bacteria are present, not compromised, and that we are effectively treating the gas producting clostridia if still present.

Take care,

Dr. B

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should i continue the probiotic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also my dog is very itchy after i gave him metronidazole. He has little red spot on his side and he bites his tail and his butt area. I thought it was the anal gland but the vet said they were empty. So I thought it was a flea bite but i could not get anything from a flea comb. So i put a k9advantix flea medication on him but now he is itchy on his back too because of the flea medication. I don't know if it is fleas or metronidazole that is causing him to be itchy all sudden
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Apologies, it seems my last post did not post.

In any case, we would want to continue the probiotics at least as long as he is on the antibiotics to counter its effects on the gut.

Otherwise, Metronidazole doesn't tend to cause itching, but if he is sensitive then that is even more reason to consider trying an alternative antibiotic with your wee one. Though we can see flea allergy dermatitis or allergic skin disease whether fleas remain on the dog or not (since all it takes is a bite from a flea to start an allergy reaction). To address this, flea treatment can prevent the problem but to address the actual itch inducing allergic reaction, we'd want to consider an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl).A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can justbe enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). So, that could a consideration here if you don't see this settle with after addressing the antibiotic situation.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long should i give him the probiotic? Until his antibiotic ends?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, we'd want to use it at least for as long as he is on the antibiotic. Though for dogs that have sensitive guts, we can use it daily for as long as need be. So, there is no maximum time frame if one wished to use this for longer.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my dog is itching and licking like crazy when i observed him, he has red rash all over side of his butt and legs. I think he is having an allergic reaction to metronidazole. What should i do. I don't know what to do.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

As I said before, if he is showing a sensitivity then the medication should be stopped and an alternative used. So, stop the antibiotic now and do ring his vet as we need something that agrees better +/- an injectable anti-inflammatory with the antihistamine to soothe his skin if he is having a reaction.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i wanted to continue liquid metronidazole but the doctor did not give me enough. So i went to the doctor's office and she said they were out of liquid so they gave me 250mg pill. Doctor said it was totally up to me to continue to give the metronidazole. What i am concerned is stopping the antibiotic early will make clostridium comeback. He is having a formed stool but very soft. So it leaves residue when picked up. He is still having foul gas too. What should i do? He still has 1 1/2 days left on metro.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should continue with pill? Vet gave him 5 days worth. She is not giving me any suggestion on what to do. She just says that it is up to me to give him the pill or not. If i do continue, should i continue for 1 1/2 days?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should i just stop metro and wait and see?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

If you are seeing improvement and there is more odd itchiness, then continue. If there is no improvement or he is still itching, then speak to them about an alternative antibiotic. In all cases, use those treatments we discussed to help with gas and settling the gut bacteria. And if the stools are still runny, your vet can dispense a kaolin/probiotic combo product too.

Take care,

Dr. B

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if i continue the antibiotic should i just do 2days or 5days of pill? Because i had only two days left on the liquid course
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

See how he goes over the two days. If he isn't 100% by then, then we can continue for the five days further or again speak to his vet about an alternative on case the bacteria is resistant to the metronidazole.

Dr. B

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
last night i did not give him any and today he had soft stool. So should i give him one this morning? It will be ok eventhough the concentration of the mefication are different?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
eventhough he has soft stool, metronidazole should make it firm?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he pooped this morning and it was soft firm and there was mucus and streak of blood. So i gave him metronidazole pill this morning. What could be causing this? Could it be the use of metronidazole? Should i send you the picture of the stool he had this morning?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

It isn't likely the medications causing the stool changes. It is more likely that the Bacteria isn't responding to the metronidazole. There fire, we can continue the course or we need to think about using something different.

Dr. B

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, i have another question. What happens if dog was given metronidazole when they don't have any clostridia infection?
Also my doctor said to keep him on metro for 5 more days and the stool consistancy is not changing. It is soft formed and leaves residue when picked up. I attached the picture
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

The stools don't look perfect but do not look terrible either. Again the above treatments we discussed before would help with getting that consistency back to normal and should be used. Otherwise, if a dog were medicated when not needed, we could see an imbalance in good gut bacteria leading to soft stools. But again those supportive measures we have been discussing would help counter that too.

Happy holidays,

Dr. B.

**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am giving him fortiflora probiotic. Is fortiflora good probiotic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it take several days for probiotic to take effect To balance gut bacteria?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it is a good product and does take at least a week to start getting those good bacteria back in line (since bacteria need time to regrow).

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, so my dog has been on 250mg pill metro with fortiflora for 4 days now but after the whole metro treatment his poop is so long and soft. Before, his poop had nice firm consistancy that would break in half when it comes out and i would be able to pick up with no residue left behind. Now it's just one loooooong poop and soft too. Why is that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so, he was on walk and he had really loose stool that smelled like sausage. Don't know why. Could metro be causing this? I attached the poop he had this morning but couldn't take the picture of poop when he was on walk. Should i stop the metro?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

It is unlikely the Metronidazole is causing any of this. Instead, as we discussed before, its more likely that it is not clearing the infection. Therefore, you can try him off the Metro or you need to speak to his vet about trying a different antibiotic that may work better for him.

Take care,

Dr. B.