Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 9 yr or so male Dotson jumped on the couch after bringing

Customer Question

My 9 yr or so male Dotson jumped on the couch after bringing him n for the nite & is breathing loud & heavly @ times it sounds like whimpering. He didn't take his treat & won't drink water. I tried to give him some with a pet bottle & still won't drink. He won't open his mouth.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that Wilbur is not feeling well...

Most likely Wilbur has suffered an injury to a disc in his back or has aggravated an already present arhritis. This is very common in older Dotsons because of their conformation. Since Wilbur does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for his pain. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, he will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when he jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as you can force feed Wilbur some liquified canned dog food, is to give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing his pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow him to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine him to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.

I know you said that you cannot open his mouth, but if you dissolve the aspirin in warm water, you can give this with a syrnge or turkey baster by placing it in the corner of his mouth and making him swallow.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well Wilbur ate last nite & drank water
This morning he is more himself still some panting but definitely not like last nite
He drank lots of water & has chased our kitten

THat is certainly a good sign but the panting is still telling you that Wilbur is experiencing pain. The aspirin will really help.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Wilbur. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta