Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

I have a 15 year old Maltese dog. He is mostly blind and

Customer Question

I have a 15 year old Maltese dog. He is mostly blind and still has a good apetite. My problem is the dog is peeing all over the furniture and barks all day. We are now getting complaints he barks all day. We have tried crating him, shock collars nothing works. I see no choice but to maybe put him down; but feel guilty doing so. Please advice me what your thoughts are?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Biscuit is having such a difficult behavior change. Based on your description, I am very concerned that he may have canine cognitive dysfunction (doggie Alzheimer's). He likely is not aware of his house soiling or of his constant barking. Punishment is not going to help and is only torturing him more.

Here is a link to an in depth discussion of this horrible end of life problem:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2549

Please take this information to your regular vet to discuss it further. These dog's are not fully aware of their surroundings and they often have a poor quality of life.

Another possibility, if you feel his awareness is still very good, is does he have a bladder infection, diabetes or Cushing's disease? These diseases can make the dog's uncomfortable and also have inappropriate urination. This is more that you can discuss with your vet.

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Biscuit this evening? Did you have a chance to speak with your regular vet about checking his urine and blood, as well as discussing the possibility of canine cognitive dysfunction?

Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda