Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My dachshund mini had a spine surgery 4 years ago and he has

Customer Question

My dachshund mini Henry had a spine surgery 4 years ago and he has heeled but the last 4 days he has very limited movement in his neck. He has a twitch on the back of his head and ears are twitching. He is walking around very slowly and is not moving his head up at all. Almost walking with his head down like he is smelling the floor. He is not wining though. I don't know what to do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am very sorry to hear about Henry. I am happy to help you this evening. What you are describing sounds like he is having neck pain. Which unfortunately more common after having issues at another spot int he spine. It is likely that he has either pinched another nerve or tweaked the muscles in his neck or even have a disc that is bulging and putting pressure causing pain. Keeping him as quiet and calm as possible is important. Since he can still walk that is a really good sign. A lot of these can be treated with steroids for inflammation and muscle relaxants and pain medications to help control the discomfort until he heals. You will want to have him seen by your vet first thing in the morning to be evaluated and get medications to help him relieve some of this discomfort. If at any time tonight he loses the use of any of his legs have him seen on emergency by your vet or an emergency hospital. but until then keeping him as calm and quiet tonight as possible will help until he can be seen. You can give tylenol at a dose of 5 mg per pound by mouth every 8 hours to help a little with pain until he can be seen. Absolutely no running, jumping or playing tonight (not that he will want to) and walk him with a harness, no collar around his neck.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Henry. How is everything going?
Dr. Whitehead