Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog got bitten by a cat and is limping. How serious is

Customer Question

My dog got bitten by a cat and is limping. How serious is this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Unfortunately cat bites are almost always infectious in nature so a veterinary visit is warranted in the morning to begin appropriate antibiotics.

1.) No licking! If this area is reachable then please use a cone or sock to prevent her from reaching the area. Licking introduces more oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection

2.) Trim the hair around the wound if you are able

3.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry

4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments especially with cat bites because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time.

5.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess

6.) Limit activity. The more activity the more likely this wound will take longer to heal because the skin cannot heal in an active setting, particularly on the leg. I imagine she is likely limiting her activity on her own at this point

7.) Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the itch and allow her to rest comfortably until your veterinarian can evaluate her

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!