Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I just got a one month old shi tzu. Can I feed it dry food?

Customer Question

I just got a one month old shi tzu. Can I feed it dry food ? Do I have to give it milk ? And what else do I have to do because shes only one month.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

First, congratulations on your new addition! 4 weeks old is very young to be taken away from the bitch, she should be at least 8 weeks old but I am sure there are extenuating circumstances...

- Feeding a milk replacement at this age is ideal because she is at the age that we will transition her to puppy food but does need some formula as well until she is weaned at about 6 weeks old
- Feeding canned food for a few weeks throughout the day and once she is 6 weeks old you can start supplementing with some moistened dry food. Once she is interested in the dry food you reduce the water, slowly reduce the canned food to get her on the dry food only

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my 5 week old shitzu pup has been vomiting her formula. how should I proceed? Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
resending.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

If she is vomiting her formula then I would strongly urge a veterinary exam to determine the underlying cause of the vomiting. She is 5 weeks old so you can be transitioning her more to the dry formula but the vomiting is concerning and with her size she can fade very quickly so please consider a veterinary evaluation