Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog has had very yellow and slimmy Poop? It started with

Customer Question

My dog has had very yellow and slimmy Poop? It started with diarrhea, and so we put her on rice and chicken for a couple of days, it's better, but has a lot of slime in it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Rose has diarrhea but glad to hear that it seems to be improving. Often a bland diet of chicken and rice will be sufficient to improve stool consistency although I typically recommend that a probiotic also be added which can help to speed up the healing process. A good one to consider would be Forti Flora which is often available at many local pet or grain stores. It can also be purchased online but would have to be shipped overnight to be of help.

I'll sometimes suggest over the counter Pepto Bismol as long as the patient isn't vomiting nor taking any steroids or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. The dose would be 1 ml per 10 lbs of body weight twice a day. For example, a 50 lb dog's dose would be 5 mls or 1 teaspoon at a time. This drug shouldn't be given to vomiting dogs, however, since it contains salicylates, the active ingredient in Aspirin which may further irritate the stomach.

It can also turn the stools a green or greyish color.

As to the mucous that you're seeing, there are a large number of goblet cells (mucus-producing cells) in the colon. Whenever there is inflammation in the large bowel, the mucus production increases as a protective mechanism. So, basically what you're seeing would be considered normal under the circumstances and should resolve when the stools return to a normal consistency.

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how long before I should be concerned?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

That's hard to say with certainty since much depends on why Rose has developed diarrhea in the first place. A partial list of possible causes includes viral/bacterial infections, dietary indiscretion, foreign bodies, Inflammatory Bowel Disease...to name just a few possibilities.

As long as she's eating and not lethargic, then I'd probably give it a few more days but add the probiotic and consider the Pepto Bismol. If her stools are still loose after that time, then a vet visit may be prudent.

Deb