Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has a sore throat. She is a shi stu. Can I give her

Customer Question

My dog has a sore throat. She is a shi stu. Can I give her infant sore throat medication
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

May I ask what symptoms she is showing that makes you suspect a sore throat? In addition, what sore throat medication you are considering?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is hoarse when she sneezes or coughs. She can't bark normally. Infant sore throat liquid.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a name brand of the sore throat liquid please? I am trying to determine the primary active ingredient and its safety in pets.

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

There are some home remedies that can help reduce the sore throat and give relief

1.) The steam of the shower when the cough is severe or constant
2.) A little honey three times daily can help soothe the lungs
3.) If you have a humidifier or nebulizer that would also be wonderful to use in this situation

Unfortunately I prefer to avoid cough suppressants because when suppressing a cough if there is phlegm or buildup and lead to bronchitis or even pneumonia if the material is not coughed up so this is not something I tend to administer.

I hope this information makes sense! If the cough is productive, there is lethargic or a reduced appetite then it would be best to have a veterinary exam to ensure antibiotics are not warranted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
probably walgreens brand or baby ganics.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Are you referring to a lozenge, medication, spray?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

The lozenge is not advise and medications tend to have acetaminophen so this is not advised. And very unlikely you are going to get the spray to be effective in the back of the throat. This is the only safe option but not approved for pets

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Ideal to relief pain/ discomfort is

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Does this information make sense? Can I assist with any additional questions or clarify anything for you today?

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!