Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog who was 10.5 years of age recently died. He was not

Customer Question

Hello, my dog who was 10.5 years of age recently died. He was not eating. He had pain in his mouth as his front part of his tongue was always out. He was breathing fast and had diareah with some blood. I want to know what was the problem with him? Thanks in advance. Kind regards. Sundeep
Submitted: 1 year ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry for your loss. You and your family have my deepest sympathy and support. Unfortunately, it will be impossible to provide any definitive answer. Based on the symptoms described, I gravitate to the issues with blood in the stool. That would suggest there was some primary issue impacting the gastrointestnal tract, and quite possibly, a cancerous cause.

The rapid breathing was likely secondary to nausea or pain, although I cannot rule-out anything in the lungs contributing to the problem.

So, as a best guess, at this age, I would have to have a very high suspicion for a underlying cancer, that may have spread to different areas of the body, especially the gastrointestinal tract.

Very sorry for your loss.