Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.
I can understand your concern for Dewey. And, while peroxide works for most dogs to induce vomiting, as you found out, it doesn't work for all of them.
Since Dewey is so close in weight to the 12 lb dog for whom the pills were intended, I wouldn't expect any significant concerns....certainly no toxicity issues and certainly no fatality!
You might see some gastrointestinal issues such as vomiting (within another few hours or so) or diarrhea or disinterest in food. Dewey might become lethargic or drink more water but these are side effects which might be seen in any patient who is taking these drugs.
A one time ingestion of these pills not intended for him shouldn't pose a problem, I'm happy to say.
I hope this reassures you about him. Deb
Unfortunately, I'm not equipped to take phone calls and hope that this format is acceptable to you. My apologies for the inconvenience.
No, the heart won't be damaged by taking these drugs. Patients without heart disease can be prescribed Benazepril and Furosemide for other, non-cardiac related conditions.
Vetmedin is primarily a cardiac drug but a one time ingestion isn't going to cause any problems.
I'm sorry if I misunderstood about the peroxide being effective.
It's quite possible that some (or the majority) of the pills weren't absorbed then and were just mixed in with his breakfast...especially if he vomited very soon after ingestion of them. Deb
I'm just following up on our conversation about Dewey. How is he doing today? Deb