Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog gets 12 units of insulin after mels. She has not

Customer Question

My dog gets 12 units of insulin after mels. She has not eaten in 24 hours and has missed two shots. Can I give her a lesser dose on and empty stomach?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about Bailey. I would not recommend giving her insulin if she hasn't eaten in 24 hours, because it could cause her blood sugar level to drop to a dangerously low level, and we don't want that to happen. It would be better to have her blood sugar a little to high for a day than for it to drop so low as to cause seizures or a coma. If she isn't eating, I would highly recommend getting her in to the vet ASAP to see why she isn't eating.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck!