Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog gotten bitten by a possum trying to see what

Customer Question

My dog gotten bitten by a possum trying to see what treatment to do for her. She had her tabbies shot already
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Get to a veterinarian immediately!

Antibiotics, Antibiotics, Antibiotics!

You need to start Foxxy on oral antibotics ASAP. With any bite or scratch wound, that penetrates the skin, the risk for infection is very high.

If there is any additional swelling or inflammation, than the vet may also suggest starting a few days of a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory as well.

This is a situation not to take a wait and see. Once it is infected and/or forms an abscess, your cost of treatment will be exponentially higher.

Sorry to hear about the injury. Great that rabies vaccine was up-to-date. It would be up-to-date if it was administered within the past 3 years.

Good Luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome.

Hope everything works out okay.

Good Luck