Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My border collie has had a gunky eye days, which we have

Customer Question

My border collie has had a gunky eye for 2 days, which we have cleaned. However this morning, Sunday it is now red on the inside of the eye. Should we continue to bathe it today and see a vet tomorrow or should we find a vet today?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now I do want to first note that if the discharge from her eye is snotty (yellow, green) or her eye looks hazy/cloudy, then we'd want to have him seen once his vet is open. The former would be a sign of bacterial conjunctivitis and the latter a hint of corneal ulcers/trauma.

Otherwise, I do have to warn you that if you have been using homemade salty water, this may be why she is looking worse at the moment. This is because it is not usually possible to fully dissolve all the salt we'd add to water and those remaining salt crystals would irritate and could scratch the eye. So, we don't want to use that for Nala anymore. Instead, you can use plain water or use eye specifically made saline like OTC first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution. These are specially made for eyes and would be much safer to be using for her at this stage.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )