Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!Are these mothballs 100% naphthalene or are they 99% paradichlorobenzene?
Naphthalene mothballs, or old-fashioned mothballs, are considered the most toxic type of mothball. Modern PDB mothballs are less toxic but still can cause illness, especially when ingested.Clinical signs of mothball poisoning include vomiting, mothball-scented breath, pale or brown gums, weakness or lethargy, difficulty breathing, tremors, seizures, and organ failure (e.g., liver, kidneys).
With dogs who ate up to 1.5 g/kg of paradichlorobenzene did not develop problems.In your dog this would be 4.5 ounces of mothballs, which would probably be at least a dozen.
So if only one was ingested monitoring is warranted but if you suspect more than one was ingested considering inducing vomiting if this occurred in the last hourMy suspicion is that Millie will be just fine with no issues whatsoeverPlease let me know if I can be of any further assistance today
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is Millie doing? I would love an update...
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!