Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has bladder stone surgery last Wed and will not eat

Customer Question

My dog has bladder stone surgery last Wed and will not eat anything. He is drinking but throws up the medicine.,
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, if he is vomiting and has nausea, this will be what is making Riddick less then keen to eat. Therefore, we do need to address that for him but tread with care if he cannot tolerate the medication he is supposed to be taking.

Now since he can keep water down, you can try to settle his stomach with an oral antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac).These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption, should be given before you give his other medication (and if it his pain relief, he may need to have an alternative potentially given by injection to avoid this nausea) and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if he's any other health issues. Of course, if you find him too nauseous even after the antacid is on board, then we'd be best to have him seen so injectable anti-nausea medication can also be started by injection.

Finally, if he can keep the antacid down and is more settled afterwards, do retry him with the foods you have already offered. As well, we often find bland options like rice with boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, or cottage cheese well tolerated in the cases.

Overall, we need to soothe that stomach before continuing his post-operative treatments. So, do consider the above for Riddick just now. But if he doesn't settle, then we'd want to have him to his vet for a post operative check for injectable treatments to settle this for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. We will try this and see what happens. We rescued him and then had the surgery done, Poor thing - the stone was the size of an egg!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

Poor lad! Though once he heals, I am sure he will feel so much better without that abrasive stone bouncing around in his bladder. So, do try the above to soothe his stomach and hopefully we can get him more settled here. :)

Take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )