brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

My dog is in pain. He is a 13 - 14 year old Dalmatian. He is

Customer Question

My dog is in pain. He is a 13 - 14 year old Dalmatian. He is hunched over and sqeels in pain when he jumps off the bed morning is the worse time and the cold seems to make it worse.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today. Which leg is bothering Cooper?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No leg but he just pooped and now seems to not be in pain. He is not favoring any leg at all.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

OK. Did his stool seem particularly dry any hard? Anything foreign visible in it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No foreign object. yesterday it was normal today it is like soft serve ice cream.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
325 mg of Bayer aspirin twice a day is what we have been giving him
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

All right. Did he have any unusual foods like people food, or something out of the garbage? Does he go outside unsupervised where he might find something odd to eat like a mushroom?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the pain seemed to start after I popped him in the butt for getting someone else's dog food
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He regularly eats the cardboard from the TP roll.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
45-50 lbs he was at 60-70lbs about 2-4 months ago. I put him on a diet and he has lost. Now I am at maintaining his current weight.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have pushed on his abdomen back and legs and he does not squeal at any of it.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Good. At his weight, I recommend decreasing the dose of aspirin. I would only give 1/2 tablet twice daily to reduce the likelihood of side effects.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

You can restart that if his pain comes back. Otherwise, since he seems comfortable now, I would discontinue the medication.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I supervise him outside each time. We have a chihuahua that we have to walk outside so he goes with.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you will be monitoring him closely.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I understand you recommend that we give half of the aspirin dose that we have been giving him, watch him closely and continue to check his stools?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long should we wait if it doesn't get better?
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Earlier you said he seemed completely non-painful since his last bowel movement. Is that correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was also the case the other day.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Then I recommend discontinuing the aspirin altogether right now. If he appears painful again, you can resume aspirin at 1/2 tablet twice daily. You can also start a probiotic like Culturelle for him. Break one capsule over his food once daily. You can also feed a bland diet of boiled white rice and boiled chicken for several days. If he is still painful on Monday, I would have him evaluated by your local vet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome! Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Hi Melonie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cooper. How is everything going?
Dr. Susan