Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 12 week old puppy (4 pounds) was sniffing around and

Customer Question

Hi, my 12 week old puppy (4 pounds) was sniffing around and sniffed/licked a very small amount of draino.. He was running around back and forth right after he was exposed to it and was unable to drink water, i gave him a bath to get the product off of his paw and nose. Now 30 minutes later he's back to his normal self.. able to eat and drink. Should I still be worried?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

The Drano acts as a corrosive on mucous membranes because it contains concentrated sodium hydroxide (lye). If your pup were in trouble I would expect your finding ulceration in his oral cavity. Please check inside his mouth thoroughly for abnormal redness. If you don't see anything untoward, it's very unlikely that he ingested enough to be dangerous. To be prudent, I would encourage his drinking fluids such as broths or bouillons, milk or cream in an attempt to dilute farther any of the lye he may have ingested. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?