Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Lenny... Reading about anal discharge in puppy...we rescued

Customer Question

Hi, Lenny... Reading about anal discharge in puppy...we rescued her and have been treating her for tape worms... She has no more live worms detectable in her stools but there is a fowl smelling ooze when we clean her rectum to remove dried worms from around her rectum
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm afraid that Lenny isn't online right now, and we don't want you to have to wait for an answer. I can certainly help as well.

Congratulations on the new addition to your family! Keep in mind that I can't practically or legally diagnose your pet without doing an in-person physical exam, but I can give you some possibilities on what might be going on and some talking points to cover with your family veterinarian.

The first thing we consider with foul smelling anal discharge is anal glands. The anal glands are two small glands just inside the rectum of dogs. They produce a very foul smelling discharge - most describe it as having a metallic smell. The anal glands can often be accidentally expressed when we apply pressure to the rectal area in cleaning and wiping. The color of anal gland substance can be tan, yellow, or brown in color. It's the kind of smell that doesn't go away easily - sometimes if the pet is really hairy I suggest clipping the fur away from the rectum since the anal gland smell gets trapped there. Pets are more likely to have anal gland leakage if they have soft stools, so if she's been having softer stools, that could be playing into it as well.

Ultimately the best person to advise you on what this could be is a veterinarian who is seeing it in person, though. Please let me know what questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What natural substances can we use to eradicate worms in puppies?...I don't want our other service animals to become infected.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately there aren't any "natural" remedies that I trust to fully remove intestinal parasites from pets - especially service animals who are going to potentially have contact with persons who might not have a competent immune system. Since some intestinal parasites like hookworm and roundworm can be transmitted to humans, it's of vital importance that a service animal have appropriate intestinal parasite prevention prescribed by their veterinarian - for the protection of their human handlers. Tape worms are caught either by eating an infected rodent or an infected flea. For most pets, it's more likely that they've eaten an infected flea, so I'd also check LucyLu thoroughly for fleas as well. The best course of action would be to consult with your family veterinarian at LucyLu's next puppy visit to create a health maintenance plan that's going to address all of her needs in the way that best suits your family. Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alexis,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucylu. How is everything going?
Doc Sara