Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Our neutered 3.5 old boxer/pugle has a sore protruding from

Customer Question

Our neutered 3.5 old boxer/pugle has a sore protruding from his hind area, what is this? He has had it before it almost can be pushed back in but it doesn't bother him.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Fumble has an odd lump, but glad to help. Keep in mind that I can't practically or legally diagnose him without examining him in person, but I can give you some thoughts on what might be going on and what to expect. Do you think you could get a picture of what you're seeing? If not I can still offer some general thoughts.

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

In young dogs, the most common "sore" we see around the rectum would be an infected (abscessed) anal gland. Anal glands are small glands just inside the rectum that secrete a smelly marking substance. Sometimes they can get infected and rupture open. I'm not entirely sure that your description fits an anal gland infection, though, as anal gland infections cause sores just next to the rectum. You're describing something that possibly goes in and out of the rectum, which is a bit different.

Another possibility would be a rectal polyp - which is a small benign mass just inside the rectum. When the pet defecates, the polyp can come out as well, but since it's attached inside, it only protrudes a little. The bigger the polyp, the more it protrudes. These can be manually pushed back into the rectum. Many times owners see it at home but when they bring the pet to me, it's back inside and I can't see it. Rectal polyps do also tend to bleed a bit, leaving frank blood on the stool. Sometimes with either condition the pet will scoot from irritation.

Other masses certainly can pop up, although they are usually in older dogs. Some dogs can get cancerous masses like perianal adenomas at the rectal tissue that would need to be removed surgically.

In any case, it's something that's going to likely need an in-person exam to sort out. Anal gland infections are treated medically with antibiotics and sometimes anti-inflammatories. Polpys or masses are frequently removed surgically.

Please let me know what questions I can answer for you

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Fumble. How is everything going?
Doc Sara