Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My border collie is 13 1/2; is a tripod; ( was t by a semi

Customer Question

My border collie is 13 1/2; is a tripod; ( was hit by a semi truck and had nerve damage which required the amputation of his front leg - 6 years ago). He was diagnosed with a mass in his liver March 2015. He put him on low dose tramadol 50 mg not to exceed 1 1/2 -2 tablets. He was still been eating but is now very frustrated with me putting meds in his food. I have been using about every trick: peanut butter, pill pockets, hot dogs, cheese....
His activity level is greatly reduced...
As of yesterday; he wouldn't eat much of anything...
He was quivering; panting; teeth chattering all at this same time
What does this all mean? Is he in pain?
Last night he
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Jane, your question was truncated. Please fill in your remaining post after "Last night he..."

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was quivering; teeth chattering; and panting all at the same time
He was in the garage for the warmth. He hates it in the house he gets too hot. He is refusing food because he thinks we are hiding Meds. Is he in pain?

Yes, I suspect so and the pain is likely to be severe if teeth chattering has arisen. By the principle of Occam's Razor I would incriminate an enlarging liver mass and/or complications from the mass such as mestastases to distant sites. Anorexia, panting, shivering/tremors/shaking, and chattering are all pain responses. I understand the difficulty you're having giving him the tramadol. If you can manage to do so it would be prudent to give the maximum dose of 5 mg/lb. If you can't dose him orally, a vet can inject him with a more potent narcotic analgesic such as buprenorphine or you may have to make a difficult decision at this time.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.