Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Our 45 pd border collie might have injested a prascend

Customer Question

our 45 pd border collie might have injested a prascend tablet that is given to our pony
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Brodie. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Please also clarify for me if this was a 1mg Prascend tablet.

Is Brodie otherwise healthy? Does he take any medications?

How long ago did this happen?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1mg He is acting normal. I was able to talk to my dog vet, and he advised keeping a eye on him. If he vomits, or starts acting odd, to call him. Brodie swallowed (Maybe) an hour ago
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Exactly...

typing more...

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

From a veterinary toxicologist:

"Mostly we'd expect vomiting and lethargy; these can be seen at very low doses. I would say if the dog isn't spontaneously vomiting, you'll be ok. May need to use antiemetics (chlorpromazine is preferred) if profuse vomiting occurs and will want to watch the Blood Pressure.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

This is a fast acting drug, so if Brodie is acting fine now after an hour, it's likely that either...

1. He didn't swallow it, or...
  2. He's not going to have problems with this dose.

It is not recommended to induce vomiting.

If you see minor vomiting, that's also no big deal.

Serious vomiting, hyperexcitability and restlessness warrant a call to the vet.

I hope this information helps.

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

(rating option enabled)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.

If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

It appears you've gone offline. I'll be hopeful in the meantime that Brodie continues to do fine throughout the day.

Please do remember to take a moment to rate my response so I may receive credit for helping you.

Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

(rating option enabled)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to ask how Brodie is doing. Still doing well?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else I can help you with regarding Brodie? I hope he's continued to do well.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Just one final check to ask how Brodie is doing. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Thank you.

Dr. Jo