Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I have a 16 pound Australian lab or doodle four months old

Customer Question

I have a 16 pound Australian lab or doodle four months old he accidentally took a small portion of a prescription called Lyrica 50 mg probably less than half a Capsule.. About 15 minutes ago he seems fine should I need to be concerned???? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. Lyrica is fairly safe in dogs but being such a young pup, it is possible this could reach toxic levels. If it has only been 15-30 min since ingestion, you can try to induce vomiting by giving 1-2 tablespoons hydrogen peroxide orally. If you can get the pup to vomit out the pill or parts of it, you can lessen the amount absorbed.

If it has been longer or you are unsuccessful in inducing vomiting you have two options....

1. Go straight to an emergency vet where they can either see about getting the pill out by inducing vomiting or put the pup on fluids to dilute the effects.

2. Monitor the pup closely today for signs of toxicity which include lethargy, I coordination, weakness, panting and whining due to an increased heart rate. If you see any of these signs, get to a vet right away.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cost a few dollars I'd rather have you call me quick thank you so much
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

I am not available for a phone call unfortunately. I will opt out. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well then make sure that you don't charge me an extra $18 I thought this would be a better help one that best wishes to you too
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your puppy. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

I am also available for phone calls.

So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

It appears you are no longer online and looking for someone who can take a phone call. I will OPT OUT now so your question can be available to other experts if you should return online.

Thank you.