Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I gave my dog her dewormer yesterday (Drontal P-Bone).

Customer Question

I gave my dog her dewormer yesterday (Drontal P-Bone). Today, she dragged in a dead rat from outside. She did not eat it, the rat was whole. Does the fact that she had this rat in her mouth negate the dewormer? Also, I am traveling with her internationally tomorrow. Should I be worried she will get sick during the trip?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I believe since she did not actually eat the rat, then the dewormer should be fine. As well since she did not eat it, we should not expect her to have an upset digestive tract. If she did ingest parts of the rat, then I would recommend phone your veterinarian this morning and get another dose of dewormer just to be absolutely sure. One of the top ways dogs get parasites/worms is by eating small animals such as this.

If she was to get any sort of upset, which I think is highly unlikely, then you should see this within the next 12 hours.

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.