Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 7 year old Boxer. She has a broken due claw. Can I

Customer Question

I have a 7 year old Boxer. She has a broken due claw. Can I just cut it off? It is broken down to the "quick".
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

As long as you can remove all of the broken nail safely, then you can do so now. The concern with these is that if we cannot remove it all (sometimes we do need to sedation to do so), then it can pinch the quick/nailbed causing pain and lameness. But if it has all broken away from the quick, that can be removed. The quick (full of blood vessels and nerves) of course should not be cut into as it will cause pain and bleeding.

If you do have any bleeding at the moment, then styptic powder (aka silver nitrate) from your local pet store, corn starch or even flour can be applied to help stop the bleeding. After you have removed the nail, we'd want to put a small light bandage on this to allow it to dry out and to keep her from licking it (a common infection source). This should be changed daily and the quick can be bathed with salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) and then gently pat dry. Of course, if she is sore at any stage or it is looking infected over the next 48 hours (usually it dries out and settles by then), then we'd want to have her checked as she may need dog safe pain relief (don't be tempted to use aspirin since it is a blood thinner) +/- antibiotics.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ralph,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kaylee. How is everything going?
nekovet