Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog vomits everytime she drinks water, unless I stand

Customer Question

My dog vomits everytime she drinks water, unless I stand over her and make her take breaks, she drinks too fast and it appears gulps in to much air at the same time, I desperately need a solution to help her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Darcy. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Has she always done this, or is this a new problem? If it is new, she may have a condition that is making her more thirsty and compulsive about drinking water, such as diabetes, kidney disease, Cushing's disease, etc. If she was not doing this until recently, having her checked out is where I would start. Even doing just a urinalysis would tell us a lot.

If this has always been a problem (my parents' Labrador did this, drank too much too fast and then gagged it back up), they now make water bowls just for this problem:

http://www.amazon.com/Alfie-Pet-Petoga-Couture-Slow-Down/dp/B008H9QSAM

Let me know what other questions you have. Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows to credit me for helping you. Please do let me know how else I can be of help, and how she is doing. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Darcy. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank for your answer, this only started about a year ago, and even when I haven't been able to get to her quick enough to control how fast she drinks, she doesn't vomit. When she drinks slow it's ok, and I'm disabled and home 99% of the time. I just don't know what to do to help her, however I'm going to buy a raised water bowl, and she wears a choke caller. She dumped me out of my wheel chair and has dragged me at least 4 or 5 feet, in her efforts to attack a cat. And I cant let go, I have to protect the kitties from her. I just don't know what to do?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
she has dumped me out of the wheel at least 6 times and when I've walked at least 10 times since I resued her, all while wearing the choker caller and each time going after kitties or possums, she is ridiculously strong and powerful. I weigh a 100 lbs, she weighs 87 lbs. HELP PLEASE!!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about your problems with Darcy. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

For the water problem, you can get a bowl that limits how fast a dog can drink. There are many on the Internet if you just Google "dog water bowl to slow drinking". I also see them in places like Pet Smart.

The pulling is another matter. Dogs that take off after cats and wildlife, that have a strong natural prey drive, are difficult to train, and training is the only way to get them to stop. If you really want to get this under control, you need to work with an experienced dog trainer. When dogs are started in a program to train dogs to work with people in wheelchairs, if they have a strong prey drive, they are rejected from the program because it is so difficult to train a dog from its natural instincts.

The special water bowl will probably help with your first problem, but the second problem will not be so easy. You need to work with a trainer who can teach you how to teach her. It will require patience and regular working with her and your trainer. Like so many behavior problems, there is no quick and easy cure that I can describe to you here.

Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else. Rebecca