Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a border collie that barks and screeches whenever we

Customer Question

I have a border collie that barks and screeches whenever we put him in the car, he is now 8 YO but has been the same all his life. I cannot take him with me because the noise is unbelievable, I had a Kelpie that just wouldn't get in the car and my vet in Tas gave her a sedative that worked wonders, can you recommend one?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

The most common of the tranquilizers prescribed for your purposes is acepromazine - a tranquilizer in the phenothiazine class. It's best administered 2 hours prior to the desired effect. Benzodiazepines such as alprazolam or clorazepate are not as sedative but are more anxiolytic (anti-anxiety). Unfortunately, none of the drugs of value are available over the counter; all will need to be prescribed by his vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.