Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

Need help with Basset Hound. 5 years old never any issues,

Customer Question

need help with Basset Hound. 5 years old never any issues, walked twice today, ate dinner 2.5 hours ago. She acts like wants to stretch but can't really stretch all the way. She is crying in pain and obviously in discomfort. What could the issue be, advice for tomight?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also in pain when she jumps off the couch
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear your dog is so uncomfortable this evening. As you stated, she is in pain, but the question is what is the source of the pain?

Based on your description, I would suspect that the pain is in her back. Bassets are prone to blowing disks in their backs and the pain can come on very suddenly like this.

Here is a link to more information on disk disease in dogs:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3223

For tonight, I would confine her the best you can. No running, no jumping, no stairs, etc. In the morning she needs to go to your regular veterinarian for a physical exam and pain medication.

If she is unable to walk or her back legs stop working, she needs to go to the local animal emergency room as soon as possible tonight.

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is your basset this evening? Any more problems with back pain? Is she feeling better?

Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar