Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Looking with my dog, been sick week, on clavamox, temp down

Customer Question

Looking for help with my dog, been sick for a week, on clavamox, temp down but no other sign of improvement, not drinking water, little eating of wet food with meds in it.. lethargic, other dog not sick
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Started last week, negative for parvo, has all shots except rabies, no contact with other dogs, no vomiting or diarrhea. Nose cold, slight moaning when moved, does walk , no playing with other dog,
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Mufasa. Can you tell me, please, if any other diagnostics have been performed and, if so, can you upload a copy of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was not a diagnosis given... I would have provided that information.. the vet said we have no idea what's wrong. So we can run $1,000 worth of blood tests and xrays or we can try an antibiotic and see what happens. They prescribed 375 mg of clavamox, 1/2 tab twice a day for 14 days, my dog weighs 25 lbs.. wish I had more info

I do too. I'm in the dark just as you are. A basic diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests should cost no more than $250 and should be considered in a dog such as Mufasa. I'll opt out which will give other experts an opportunity to offer other suggestions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She wanted to do upper xray $250, lower abdomen xray $250, blood work $250, plus we did rehydration there in spot, parvo test and his meds, my total that day was $209.92
She kinda had an all or nothing approach.. had no recommendation. I was going to take to another vet tomorrow to get second opinion.. just figured these symptoms along with what hasn't worked, would lead to a few ideas. Thank you