petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

MY DOG IS COUGHING I TOOK HER TEMP IT IS 101.0 THIS MORNING.

Customer Question

HELLO
MY DOG IS COUGHING I TOOK HER TEMP IT IS 101.0 THIS MORNING. I BOUGHT SOME PENICILLIN AT oRCHELNS. I REALLY CANT AFFORD TO TAKE HER TO THE vet right now. I listened to her breath I could hear her wheezing a little bit. She weights 45lbs. How much penicillin should I give her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

A body temperature of 101 is within the normal range for a dog (99-102.5 degrees), so there is no indication for antibiotics to be given. Wheezing can be a sign of other disorders and bacterial causes of coughing are not common. Other causes could include conditions like heart disease especially in an older dog, or upper or lower airway inflammatory conditions in which case antibiotics would be of no benefit. It would be in her best interest if the cough continues, especially if she is wheezing to find a way to have her examined and have her heart and lungs evaluated. In the meantime, it would not be harmful to use a cough suppressant like Robitussin DM to help with the cough.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be discussed or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z