Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

One of my dog's ears is kept flat, and he shakes s head as

Customer Question

Hello, one of my dog's ears is kept flat, and he shakes his head as if the ear bothers him. The ear goes back up right sometimes, and other times (often during and after we take him out for a walk), it seems to bother him more.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. Is there any redness, drainage, or odor in the affected ear? How long has he had the issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, nothing visible. We tried to look in with a light into the ear. It is definitely difficult because of the fur, but we saw nothing obvious. No smell either.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Ok thank you. I am thinking he may have an inner ear infection. That could cause pain that is worse with temperature changes such as when going outside for a walk.

You also would not be able to see it without an otoscope.

So it would be a good idea to get a vet to look deep into his ear.

If he does have an infection then antibiotics would be prescribed.

He could also have something stuck down in there. But that would require an otoscope exam to see it as well.

As long as he does not have any underlying health issues, and he is not on any medications, you can give him human aspirin for pain. 5 mg of aspirin, per each pound of dog, every 12 hours as needed. Give it with food to help prevent gastrointestinal upset.

How does that sound?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great. Thank you. He seems good otherwise. Good appetite, etc.
I want to be sure so we will visit a vet so they can take a look into his ear.Thank you for the advice! Very helpful!
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

My pleasure. Hope he feels better soon.