Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My boxer went into labor last night (around 5:30pm) had one

Customer Question

My boxer went into labor last night (around 5:30pm) had one puppy that came out dead. After that she hasn't tried pushing or contracting anymore, but I believe she still has one more(it is now 8am). She still doesn't want to eat but she isn't in any distress or acting funny in any way. Is it possible I just need to give it time or how long should.I wait for before I take her in. Thank you my vets office hasn't opened for today yet
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

I typically go by a 2 and 4 hour rule. No more than 2 hours of active labor and no more than 4 hours between puppies. Once we're outside those markers, then it's time to get in to a vet and usually go to c-section to get the puppies out. This gives the best chance of live puppies and it's also the best way to keep mom from getting septic.

With that in mind, we're over 12 hours. I would absolutely go in to an ER vet or your vet when they open.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Addie. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She almost died, had to leave her at the vet. She actually had 3 other puppies that were that were all to big to pass anyways. They had to have immediate surgery. The puppies were dead in the womb but my baby pulled through