Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

Sophie ,I have 2 dogs, plate poo whos around 10 and 2 month

Customer Question

hi sophie ,I have 2 dogs, plate poo whos around 10 and 2 month poodle .. the 2 month poodle had just got parvo and is on treatments.. My malte poo woke up this moring not wanting to move.. she also didn't want to eat and had alittle bit
diarrhea , she also had her vaccine on parvo.. could it be possible if she has it too.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr RB and I am a small animal veterinarian. Unfortunately, yes this is very possible if she was exposed at all to the parvo virus even before the puppy was having symptoms. Parvo is a highly contagious virus and it is very stable in the environment so it is difficult to rid the environment without applying a 30-50% dilution of bleach/water to contaminate the environment including all bedding, inside flooring/surfaces as well as outside. As with all viruses, the very young and older animals are the most susceptible because their immune systems are at the weakest. Therefore, if your older poodle has received a parvo vaccine yearly throughout life, she is most likely not fully protected. To be on the cautious side, I would make an appointment with your regular DVM right away to take her in and test her for Parvo as well as any other diagnostics they may believe are necessary. The earlier that Parvo is caught and treatment is started, the better chance that treatment can hopefully turn things around for her. Therefore, given her exposure to the puppy, I would take her in and not wait:)

Hello again..If my advice helped you with your Maltipoo and she is feeling better. If so, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to give my response a positive rating? This would allow me to receive compensation for my expertise and time assisting you and your pet.. Much thanks

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Ola Barrett