Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My French bulldog ate a fried shrimp and has been acting

Customer Question

My French bulldog ate a fried shrimp and has been acting very strang since. She seems short of breathe and very weak and tired. She can barely get up and down the stairs and can't jump on the bed which is her favorite thing to do. She's resting well now but earlier woke up and let out a yell. I've never heard this from her she will only drink a little water here and there. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

I don't think the shrimp is the culprit. It sounds like he threw his back out. Disc herniations in the back are very common in frenchies. Most dogs present with pain, an arched back, reluctance to jump up or do stairs and sometimes just crying out periodically or when picked up.

We typically diagnose them on neurologic exam. An MRI or CT is needed to confirm the diagnosis, but we save those for the paralyzed dogs- few and far between.

Most of these mild back dogs do well with 1-2 weeks of exercise restriction and pain management. I typically use a combination of an anti-inflammatory (Rimadyl) + a nerve pain med (Gabapentin).

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She doesn't exhibit any pain when I touch her. She can walk and jump she just seems too tired. Also the breathing pattern is different. She was laying restfully when she let out a yelp. This still seems like a back issue?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, it does sound like a back. The only other thing I'd check, would be her gum color. If her gums are pink, then that's good. If they're pale/ white, then I would start worrying about something else.

It sure sounds like a back, though- especially the yelping and reluctance to jump up on the bed. Those are classic back pain signs. To generate a pain response on palpation, you really need to know how to palpate the spine. It's not something where I would expect you to just rub her back and pick up that response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her gums look pink. Every time I move her she trembles or shakes. Is this consistent with back pain? Does she need to go into a clinic?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Good, pink gums are normal. Trembling is a common sign of pain- also fits with back pain. I would take her in to start some pain meds. It doesn't have to be an ER visit, but I'd call your vet when they open and try to get her seen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Than you!
From a frantic doggy mommy :)
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

You're very welcome. I get it!

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lala. How is everything going?