Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My house flooded and there was raw sewage my dogs walked in

Customer Question

My house flooded and there was raw sewage my dogs walked in carpet where it happened. Can this cause him to constantly lick at his foot pads.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now my other dog who is a mixed 9 yr old breed is also licking at his paws which he has never done before
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dogs (and your flood!). It is possible that bacteria in the sewage could have gotten onto the skin and caused a local infection, or even just the moisture (if they were standing in water) could have caused a bacterial or yeast overgrowth. We can also see dogs lick their feet as a result of allergies. How long has this been going on for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lab does have allergies but the the mixed breed has never locked his paws or legs since the flood started. Should I take them to a vet
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

It might not be a bad idea. They may just need a medicated shampoo or medicated wipes,but they may need oral medication depending on how bad it is. Have you already washed their feet? Did this just happen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We live in omaha ne. Since the pipes broke in house beginning of Oct insurance company sent someone in to rip out cabinets and flooring. Then they came in here and wash the floor but as we've noticed in the last couple weeks the floor is still kind of reddish and it still smells in house. We r having another company come out next week to rescrub floors b4 carpenter's come. and the half breed dog that we're not sure what his full breed is cuz somebody had beaten him and dumped him on side of the highway and I picked him up and brought him home has never had any problems. Licking his feet and now legs and he's been very lethargic since he the flooding started. He is a very very active dog we have a pool and in summee he will swim 4 hours and during winter he will sit outside looking for rabbits or an animal that comes into r property and since flood he doesn't get up and do anything acts very lethargic
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

What a fiasco for you! It is possible the sewage made the feet irritated or that they are having a contact allergy reaction to whatever they cleaned the floor with. If he is also acting lethargic, I think that is a reason in and of itself to get him in to your vet. It may be coincidental that it started around the time of the flood,but either way, he should be examined and possibly have some bloodwork done, as well as determine how best to treat their feet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Best of luck to you and I hope that everything gets sorted out with the dogs and your home! What a tough time!

If you have any other questions, let me know. If not, please take a moment to rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service, and I can get credit for helping answer your question. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Niko. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am taking him to vet 2morrow
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hope it goes well and they can get some relief!