Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My cocker mix has developed moles all over her body and

Customer Question

my cocker mix has developed moles all over her body and recently one fell off and though it bled only a small amount, it turned blak about the size of a quarter. like a crust. she also moans in her sleep and seems to be in pain when trying to get on furniture.shhe takes an allergy pill and also monthly flea protection.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo of this spot where the "mole" fell off and now the area turned black to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. In general, these moles are benign and the skin change you're seeing must be assumed to be benign as well. The Neosporin is appropriate.

Moaning her sleep is likely to represent REM (dream) stage sleep. It's unlikely that she would perceive pain while asleep but her attempts to get on the furniture could certainly be painful if either her hips, knees or spine were hurting her. Dosing her with aspirin at a dose of 10 mg/lb with food is a simple test to see if she's painful. If following a dose you see that she has an easier time jumping up or down (or she stops moaning in her sleep), you've successfully treated a painful dog with aspirin. If so, it would be prudent to let Lizzie's vet know what you've done. Her vet has more potent nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) than aspirin.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.