Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog is pacing the floor in pain and is also shaking. When

Customer Question

My dog is pacing the floor in pain and is also shaking . When she does finally laid down occasionally jumps up and yips in pain and has pooped twice after that but has jumped up and yiped a few times without pooping . Her stool is not abnormal it's not hard there are no worms and there is no blood . It seems like she is having occasional sharp pains of some sort . She has no fever and is eating and drinking fine . When I massage her body I cannot find any signs of anything specific hurting .
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello there, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear of Jane's discomfort! Whenever I hear of a dog reacting in pain as you are describing, I worry about something like a slipped disc in a dog's back or neck, causing sharp pain then they move in a certain way that aggravates the disc. If you are at home, will she let you press your fingers down along her spine, and move her head back and forth and up and down- does she react at all to this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just found a sensitive spot the bottom of her right rib cage
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Went to pick her up to feel her spine and touched her ribs and see yiped
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has had no falls or accidents that I am aware of
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Ok. It is possible she jumped off a bed or sofa and fell badly or perhaps someone accidentally tripped over her? I would recommend that you take her in to your vet for an exam to be sure that is the only issue so that they can give her some safe pain medication. In the meantime, if she will tolerate it you can apply an icepack (covered in a cloth so not directly cold on the skin) for 5 to 10 minutes a few times a day to help relieve some pain.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

I don't normally recommend any over the counter pain medications because they just are not as safe as the prescription medications we have available for pain. I have attached an article here for you about aspirin (I know you said you gave some) so you can read up on it: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=552. Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your answer and I can get credit for helping answer your question. I wish you the best of luck! Thank you.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tim,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jane. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just wondering how your pup is doing now?