Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog has diarrhea from eating a few pieces of ribeye steak

Customer Question

My dog has diarrhea from eating a few pieces of ribeye steak last night. Can I give her loperamide hci 2mg to calm this diarrhea down?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Tippi but it sounds as if the steak may have been too rich for her...although I'm certain that she enjoyed it very much.

If her looser stool issues are, indeed, secondary to this food which didn't agree with her, then a bland diet of boiled, skinless chicken breast and 20 minute white rice, several meals through the day (3-4 instead of 1-2) should be sufficient to resolve the problem within a day or so. She shouldn't need any drugs at all.

However, if you did want to give her something to speed up the process, I prefer to avoid Loperamine or Imodium for a number of reasons.
I've seen a number of dogs develop side effects such as constipation, bloat, and sedation with other, potentially, more serious adverse effects also possible: paralytic ileus, toxic megacolon, pancreatitis, and central nervous system signs.
In addition, collies, shepherds, related breeds, or other dogs who have a defective MDR-1 gene mutation may be overly sensitive to loperamide and it's use should be avoided. Obviously, she's not one of these breeds but I just wanted to mention this potential problem for general informational purposes.

If you do want to give it, though, then I'd only give 1/4 of a 2 mg tablet for one or two doses for a dog this size

Another option would be over the counter Pepto Bismol as long as she's not vomiting nor currently taking steroids or any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication. Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

The dose would be 1 ml per 10 lbs of body weight 2-3 times a day.

For example, if he weighs 20 lbs, then you would give him 1/2 of a teaspoon at one dose.

Pepto bismol should not be given to vomiting dogs since it contains salicylates (the active ingredient in Aspirin) which can irritate the stomach.

It can also turn the stools a grey or greenish color.

If the loose stools persist, I might also consider giving a good quality, canine probiotic such as Forti Flora or Resources Protegrity GI. These products can be extremely useful for gastrointestinal issues (and to help strengthen the immune system as well). They may be available at local pet/grain stores or can be purchased online.

I hope this helps and that you see improvement soon. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Tippi. How is she doing? Deb