Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog had a problem with fleas so I tried Advantix II. It

Customer Question

My dog had a problem with fleas so I tried Advantix II. It didn't work and he chewed his backside raw. Took him to my vet who gave him Capstar that day and gave me Bravecto for the next day. That day started drinking like crazy, wouldn't eat and didn't want to do anything. He spiked a fever of 106 so rushed him to the ER where he has been for 5 days with a low grade fever. Could the Advantix, Capstar and Braveco combo cause this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Jackson. To answer you directly, yes, it's possible. The possible adverse effects to the ingredients in Advantix ( imidacloprid, permethrin, pyriproxyfen) - Bravecto (fluralaner) and Capstar (nitenpyram) are too numerous to list in this venue and there are no studies that have been performed concerning what might occur when all three are on board concomitantly. It's not unreasonable to conjecture that Jackson suffered a drug reaction in the form of a systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS) which can cause fever and multiple organ involvement. Can you upload a copy of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.