Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dogs ate my glipizide - what should I do?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she eat it?

What milligrams was it?

How much does she weigh?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now this is a medication that we do use in dogs when treating diabetes. Therefore, this is not an outright poisoning. Though it is still concerning since the drug’s effects on a young dog can be significant.Most worryingly, we can see this cause dangerous dips in non-diabetic dog's blood sugar, weakness, wobbliness, lethargy, and collapse.

Therefore, if she has just had this, then we can choose to err on the side of caution at this point. If it has been <2 hours, we can induce vomiting now. To do so, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk for her.

Finally, since this will target her blood sugar, we can try to counter the drugs effects by offering small frequent meals over today. If she isn’t keen to eat her normal food, we can offer light diet options like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). As well, we’d want to have a sugary syrup on hand (ie karo,pancake, glucose, honey, etc). And should we see any of those aforementioned signs, we’d want to plan to rub one of these on her gums to boost her blood sugar. Of course, if we did see those signs, we’d want to follow up with her vet for symptomatic care to get her through this without issue.

Just in case you see any of those signs I noted in the next6-12 hours and you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )