Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 70lb dog ate 8.52mg of bromethalin approx 4 hrs ago. 1hr

Customer Question

My 70lb dog ate 8.52mg of bromethalin approx 4 hrs ago. 1hr ago I gave 1.5 tsp h2o2 50/50 e water but no vomit. When should I start charcoal and 4 how long. My calculator was approx .28/ kg . Tjx lenard.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

I would probably try to make her vomit again. I would give a 70 lb dog 3 tablespoons of peroxide. You don't need to dilute it, just give it straight. That should get her to vomit.

The activated charcoal should ideally be given by a vet. The stuff that you buy over the counter is not concentrated enough. It would take dozens of tablets in order to get to an effective dose for this size dog. Most Bromethalin ingestions can be treated with GI decontamination alone- make them vomit and give activated charcoal. We then watch them (or they are monitored closely at home) for 8-12 hours. If you don't see any signs in that time frame, they usually do fine.

If you notice any neurologic signs (tremors, seizures, change in mentation), then the prognosis gets a lot worse. The few dogs that I have seen showing signs tend to deteriorate and die within 24 hours. The key is catching it quickly and treating quickly with vomiting/ charcoal.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.