Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dachshund 10 years old is in pain when I pick her up? Ate

Customer Question

My dachshund 10 years old is in pain when I pick her up? Ate at 5 p.m. But has been in her bed most of the evening. Lower abdominal problem or back problem?? Did urinate this afternoon, has never had any problems with her bowel movements. Is it safe to
wait to take her to the vet at 7:30am in 6 hours? Can I give her an 81 mg coated aspirin if she will take it for me?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Tootsie.

Well, being a doxie, we have to be suspicious of back pain, due to their predisposition to herniated discs. However! We don't know for sure. Is it safe to wait? I wish I could say definitively, but without my examination, it would just be a guess which is worthless to you (must be honest).

So, I would say that if the pain persists, or gets worse, the ER trip is a must. Other symptoms that would be of concern include:

- difficulty walking especially on the hindlegs

- dragging any legs which could include the paw flipping over when trying to walk

- excessive panting which would suggest pain

- appearing agitated or restless.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Aspirin is fairly weak and likely not to be of much benefit in this situation. Plus, it could predispose to stomach upset. So, I would be more inclined to suggest giving nothing and just getting in to the vet as soon as you can. Plus, you don't want aspirin interacting with anything the vet may want to give, which is likely to include a steroid or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory.

Hope that information helps

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tootsie. How is everything going?