Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog has been throwing up since yesterday evening and has

Customer Question

My dog has been throwing up since yesterday evening and has soft stool since this morning. Everytime he tries to eat or drink he just throws it back up. The longest he's gone without vomiting or soft stool is between 12:00 and 5:30 this afternoon, when I gave him a dinner of boiled rice and sweet potatoes. He is not lethargic and still wants to play, but I'm worried about him. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Erin,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on Hank's question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Erin,

Sorry to hear Hank is a little unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Vomiting is very common in the dog and as long as it has not gone on for too long and the he is otherwise acting normally { As in Hanks' case } then the chances are this is not too serious and hopefully will soon pass. This sort of vomiting can occur for example when a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or has had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug of some sort.

That said that there are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog which some owners use which are often successful in minor uncomplicated cases of vomiting, I will list a few for you now ...

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt given orally added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A tablespoon twice a day would be fine for a dog of your one's size.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if Hank deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.