Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has very red and swollen eyes

Customer Question

My dog has very red and swollen eyes
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet Troy today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for? Has he ever had this happen before? Any discharge from the eyes? Do they seem to bother him at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just noticed today, no noticable discharge, never before, pawing at eyes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im tring to add pictures buut its not letting me

What error message are you getting when you are trying to upload the pictures. If both of them are swollen I would be worried about a possible allergic reaction to something. Did he eat anything unusual? Any possible insect bites or stings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jes outside most of the day, so maybe something out there. Hes out regurally though and our other dog is fine. No error message, just when i select the photo it goes back to typing screen.

Okay since he is outside most of the day he may have been stung or bit by something. If it is really bad, he may need an injection of a steroid and an antihistamine to help relieve his symptoms quickly. A veterinarian may also consider prescribing some oral medication such as prednisone as well as eye drops to see if it provides relief. Are you noticing any swelling elsewhere?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Heres a pic

Okay thanks for the picture. Looks like the eyelids are swollen and the whites of the eyes are really red. In that case I would either think that some type of irritant got in his eye such as a chemical, or he is having some type of allergic reaction. Has it been getting worse or pretty much staying the same?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, nowhere else

Okay looks like he definitely will need topical meds for the eyes to help with the redness, and he will likely need an anti-histamine and/or possible a steroid to help take the swelling down. If he continues to rub at the yes then he may need an Elizabethean Collar before he makes them much worse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Can i do anything at home? Its 650pm where I am.

If you have access to Diphenhydramine or Benadryl you can try to see if that helps. But it will only work if his eyes are a result of an allergic reaction. You can give it up to 3 times daily. Here is an article that discusses the dosing and the precautions you need to take with Benadryl.

Benadryl dose

Otherwise you can gently wash the eyes with saline in case it is some type of irritant that is causing the eyes to swell.