Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I gave my do a Claritin D yesterday at 8:30 a.m. she's not

Customer Question

I gave my do a Claritin D yesterday at 8:30 a.m. she's not drinking much and she's not eating we gave her peroxide to make her vomit and she didn't vomit and that was last night. When you go towards her to pet her she acts like you are going to hurt her. what do I have to do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You're seeing the toxic effects of the decongestant pseudoephedrine in the Claritin D. The "D" stands for decongestant. It's best avoided in dogs because it has a narrow range of safety. It can cause hyperthermia (increased body temperature), mydriasis (wide open pupils), tachycardia (increased heart rate), hypertension, vomiting, disorientation ("acting like you're going to hurt her"), and seizures. In small animals, adverse reactions may develop at doses of 2.5-3 mg/lb and there was 120 mg of pseudoephedrine in that product. Deaths have occurred at doses greater than 5-6 mg/lb. How much does your dog weight, please?

It was also an extended release form of the drug and so adverse effects might be seen for up 24 hours. Because it's been so long since she ingested it, there's no value to inducing emesis at this time. Treatment would be symptomatic and supportive under the care of her vet. If she has remained stable, however, simply "watchful waiting" her while she's in a quiet and dimly lit area should stuffice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She weighs 60 pds

Thank you. 60 lbs/120 mg = 2 mg/lb - a bit smaller dose than we expect adverse effects to appear but most important, that's not a dose at which I expect dangerous symptoms to appear and so watchful waiting at this time is appropriate. Be patient with her because these extended release formulations last for unpredicatable times in our dogs. Please continue our conversation if you wish.