Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

We would like to get two dogs a brother and sister 10 week

Customer Question

We would like to get two dogs a brother and sister 10 week old puppies a good decision. Or would it be better to get two dogs from different litters? Thank you for your response Sue and Guy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today!

Most breeders agree that getting puppies at the same age and same litter is not advised. Typically at least a six month separation between them is best because there will be a more clear cut hierarchy but also raising two puppies of the same age and the same litter can be quite challenging. I have a close friend who is a breeder and always advises against this and when she agrees to do so against her better judgement a large portion of them return one or the other within a six month period

I have had specific conversations about this with her and 75% + do return one or both of the puppies in this scenario due to conflicts between the puppies, the amount of work and time consumption, and frustration by the new adoptees.

So from my experience and what I have learned from breeders I would advise against this and try to separate two puppies by a six month + period if at all possible

I hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you tonight!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am online another 15 minutes tonight if I can be of any further assistance to you

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses yesterday

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddha Boy. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman