Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

My dogs stomach is hard as a rock.He was in pain all night

Customer Question

my dogs stomach is hard as a rock.He was in pain all night so I took to the vet today, costed$221. He did blood work, it was all good, he's dehydrated so he gave him fluids and pain med. his belly was getting better, he went out to pee and he ate a little, but I felt and his belly is back hard? what now
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet Jiffy today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Does Jiffy have any problems with defecating? Did they take x-rays of Jiffy when you took him to the vet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he didn't because he said he was walking fine, he had no out of lineage.He did do an ultra sound which we weren't charges for. I'm so glad, found nothing on the ultra sound

How is Jiffy doing today? Does his stomach still seem hard? If you were looking to do any further diagnostics, I would still recommend x-ray to r/o any orthopedic issues as well. Otherwise i would think about possible constipation

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is urinating, drinking Gatorade and I'm giving him his pain med. He seems to be better. I've racked my brain trying to figure this out. I have two other chis and they're fine. I have ordered his 5 in 1 shot. I was making him drink, but he's drinking on his own now. what do you think? his tummy as hard as it was
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's eating a little, he goes out at night to pee, so I don't know if he's deficated yet, he's not having any back issues, thank you for the help

If you haven't seen him defecate as of yet that I would be worried about constipation. I see that commonly in some chihuahuas causing the issue with the hard tummy that you are describing. Once they get fluids it usually helps but he may need a laxative prescribed and given regularly to him to see it that helps with his stools.